Tiffany's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

F 50x66
Feb 20, 2012

bookshelves: eced-221

The Giver is a story about a society that appears to be in complete working order with everyone having their jobs, spouses, children and futures assigned to them perfectly. However, when Jonas, a young boy turning twelve, receives his assigned job, things start to look not so perfect. Jonas receives a lifetime of knowledge and nothing will ever be the same.
Lois Lowry does a fantastic job of depicting the emotions of characters in this fantasy world. For the main character, Jonas, you truly experience what he is going through. As the truth is revealed, his feelings about his world change and he begins to experience dilemmas. It's not always clear that the story is based on a imaginary world, because it seems like real situations. A lot of what happens in the book could actually happen. However, as you read further you begin to realize that it's not as real as it seems and that the reality of Jonas' situation is definitely not a good reality. I believe the reader definitely feels a sense of delight that encourages you to read further, because you are experiencing what Jonas experiences and his journey is captivating and you feel as if you are Jonas.
I truly enjoyed this book. I was shocked by what occured and kept thinking how strange it would be if life were like that. It makes you think about how much freedom we have and how much we take advantage of.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.