Heather's Reviews > The Marked

The Marked by Inara Scott

Apr 23, 12

Read in April, 2012

******Spoiler Alert******
****There are spoilers from book one in this review. If you haven't read it don't read this review****
My review of The Talents (the name has been changed since I purchased the book) is HERE
You've heard of the Sophomore Slump with secondary novels? Not this one! If anything, it runs circles around the first novel in this series! There was a lot of everything in this novel. Dancia gets training finally to control her talents but it's not easy and her trainers are very unconventional. There are new characters, Barrett, a senior that provides some levity and some balance to Dancia's life, as well as being her trainer. And she meets the other people in the Program. And finally, she and Cam can be together. As her watcher, he wasn't allowed to be her boyfriend, but now that she's part of the program, they can date as she'll no longer have a watcher, or will she?

Anna and Trevor are up to their old tricks but it wouldn't be any fun if they weren't! All the old characters are back. Hennie is still with Yashir though she hasn't told her parents yet. And Esther is having a crisis of confidence because she can't find a boyfriend. And then, Catherine makes an unusual breakthrough and actually speaks to Dancia. What is going on??? And Jack. Whoever said he wasn't going to be in this novel was wrong, very wrong! And Dancia's doubts about Delcroix, Mr. Judan and The Program continue which gets between her and Cam.

Dancia asks a lot of questions in this one. Sometimes, I think she pushes Cam too far when he is obviously torn up about something. But Cam is much more forthcoming in this one and the trust builds between them strengthening their relationship. Grandma is still kicking around, but I'm starting to wonder what happened to Dancia's parents. I'm having questions myself that Dancia hasn't asked.
And although this book could provide an ending , I think there is more of the story to come. At least I hope so.

There's a lot more action in this one, whether it's Dancia learning to use her talents, or a rogue band of teens that have talents of their own, or an all out fight to the death. New people are brought into the know and talents previously hidden are revealed. Even new friendships are forged. And mounting distrust arises from the most unlikely of people.

I loved every minute of this book. It didn't take long to read , but still I didn't want to put it down even when I had to take one of my kids to tutoring. Of course, it was at the very end when I had just a few of the most exciting pages left. I am so excited for where this series is headed. If you were just lukewarm about the first book, grab this one. It's on fire! Dancia's talents are incredible, but some of the talents of others in the group are even more impressive. This was such a great second novel! I think it was so much better than the first that they were almost like to different series. But all the elements are the same. This is a Sophomore Slam Dunk!

Thanks to Inara Scott for providing me an ARC of the book for review! This in no way influenced my opinion of the book and no monetary compensation was received for my review.

Now, go get your copy of The Marked!

Heather
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marked.