Glory's Reviews > Ulysses S. Grant

5642072
Feb 23, 12

bookshelves: biography, american-civil-war
Read from February 18 to 23, 2012, read count: 1

A brief and colloquial book, with a charm as opinionated, ironic, and humorous as a good magazine article, with a prose that is highly readable, never bogs down, and paces itself with the occasional dwelling on important controversies in Grant's life. What makes the book for me is the author's breadth of knowledge concerning other generals (Wellington, Napoleon) and presidents (Ike, Roosevelt) in comparison to Grant. It was a fabulous book to spin through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ulysses S. Grant.

02/18/2012
7.0% "Poor Grant -- failed in everything, even his Tomb placement. Only his generalship shines..."
02/19/2012
62.0% "Interesting brief journey. Now I wonder about everything, always looking for primary sources..."
02/20/2012
68.0% "Page 111: What a great book to spin through. I made a huge amount of progress, and the prose doesn't bog one down, even in battles' brief description. It's slightly ironic, abbreviative, and delves into Grant apologetics once in a while at important impasses (Order 11, drinking). A great book."
02/22/2012
75.0% "I love this author's breadth of knowledge concerning other generals (Wellington, Napoleon) and presidents (Ike) in comparison to Grant."