Adrienne's Reviews > The Wolf Gift

F_50x66
Feb 18, 12

Read in February, 2012

So, the Wolf Gift.

What can I say? It could only have been written by Anne Rice. I’m actually stumped as to how someone who hasn’t read any of Anne Rice’s books before would feel about this novel.

I get the feeling that the world of Anne Rice’s books and the actual world have grown farther and farther apart as the years go by. No one dresses the way they do in her books. No one speaks the way they do in her books. Certainly she had no concept of age – The hero, Reuben already has his Masters at 23, for example.

I feel like she writes her historical books and her contemporary books in much the same way. But her writing works for historical fiction, or for example, for the vampires who were mostly born in another time, who often act older than they look. It sounds natural when Lestat says, “My god!”, but not so much when a 16 year old boy from California says it.

However, her writing has a rhythm to it, the essence hasn’t changed at all. It’s her language, her themes, her character types, her dialogue, the catchphrases I recognize from so many other books (‘Dear God’, ‘Lord God’, ‘For the love of hell’, etc. ‘Powerfully excited’ was used at least ten times.) If you had told me that this was a lost manuscript from the 80s, I would have believed you, if not for the fact that everyone had an iPhone.

In that way, although I’d never read the book before, the reading experience was almost similar to that of reading a comfort read for me. And I found the characters likable enough, because none of them were the old characters I loved being rendered utterly unrecognizable, as happened with the last books in the Vampire Chronicles. So I enjoyed it, It wasn't a hard read at all for me. I read it in a day. I reminded me a lot of The Mummy, for example.

The only two aspects of this book that I felt set it apart from her earlier writing was: 1) It was much more Catholic. That aspect was much more overt. 2) It was less gay, or should I say, less bi-sexual. There was a gay character, but he was very clearly marked as such, unlike the general love and affection between men in her earlier book where every male character including the hero fell in love with another man or mentioned having been in love with another man despite never being identified as gay or bisexual.

Also, I can only end with 3 points.

1. The phrase ‘Man Wolf’ never stopped being funny.
2. There was WAY too much werewolf/human sex.
3. The most hilarious line in the book: “Well, you’re one splendid boy wolf I’ll tell you that.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Gift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Oct 06, 2013 08:45AM) (new)

Tiffany Reisz Hi Adrienne,

I laughed when I read your review. Five minutes earlier I had given the same criticism almost verbatim of the book while explaining it to my boyfriend. No one in 2013 talks the way Anne Rice's characters talk. No 23 year-old American male is going to say, "Superb!" when offered a sandwich. I told my boyfriend that this sort of odd stilted dialogue would work well in a historical novel because of the other worldly/old world feel of it, but in a modern book, it just comes off as awkward and unnatural. If she'd set this book in the 1800s it might have worked.

Not sure if I'll keep reading. I only started reading it out of perverse curiosity to compare my memories of Rice's style to the current reality of it. I'm a professional writer myself. When one of my beta readers says, "This sounds weird" I change it. Does Rice not have anyone telling her, "Um, no one talks this and they never have"?

Still, I'll love Rice always for her earlier work. Maybe if I can trick myself into believing The Wolf Gift is taking place in an alternative universe I can keep reading. I at least want to see how she writes werewolf/human sex. ;)

Thanks!
Tiffany Reisz

message 2: by Oz (new)

Oz It's actually not that uncommon to have a asters at 23. In the UK most finish university at 21 and those that go onto their masters do at 21/22 and it's only a year.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Reisz Oz wrote: "It's actually not that uncommon to have a asters at 23. In the UK most finish university at 21 and those that go onto their masters do at 21/22 and it's only a year."

It's very uncommon in the United States where the book is set. All the characters are American. The age of the characters is absurd in the book. The hero's girlfriend is a 22 year old lawyer. And even if these are all prodigies, it doesn't explain why they talk like it's 1920 instead of 2013 in the book. Whatever Rice was going for in this book, she didn't pull it off.

Tiffany

Sarah Began reading the book then stopped and came here to read the reviews. glad I read yours. It mirrors my thoughts so far. Nobody dresses or talks like the characters do in our real world. And if in your opinion the funniest line in the entire book is "Well, you're one splendid boy wolf I'll tell you that." then I'm finished with the book right now. I want real to life characters with fun snarky dialogs that keeps you wanting to turn the page as you bark out a little laugh from time to time because you just love something the character has said or done. I'm totally not feeling that with this book.

message 5: by Lynn (new) - rated it 1 star