Kelly's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jul 05, 13

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction

** spoiler alert ** Oh my gosh!!! I am not done with this book, but I just read the chapter where Leisel sees Max marching through the town. I was sobbing uncontrollably...which was very disconcerting to Drew because he is sick and I've been holding him all morning on the couch. He couldn't figure out why I was crying so much!

Okay, so I've finished the book now, and if I thought the scene with Max was bad, well, obviously I hadn't gotten to the part where Himmel Street was bombed. The scene with her kissing Rudy (I wanted so badly for Death to let him see her doing that - sweet, sweet, loyal boy that he was) and holding her Papa. My heart hurt that she was not given a chance to say goodbye to all of the people that she loved and that meant the most to her in her life. I guess that should be a lesson to us all. I thought this was a beautifully written book, such a unique perspective on Hitler's Germany and the war. Gave me a better understanding of what was going on with ordinary German citizens at the time. Made me feel so much better to know that there were people who wanted so badly to do something to ease the suffering of the Jews, but knew how futile that effort would be (probably the reason why so many didn't do anything)...and, knew how much their families would suffer in turn by making that effort. I loved the characters in this book so much! I would love for all of my children to read this book, although I think it is pretty deep and has many layers of meaning in so many places that it is hard for even a well-read adult to decipher it all. So many quotes I loved and they wil be on my quotes page even though they may not make complete sense to those who haven't read the book, they hold great emotional meaning for me. I could go on and on, but I won't! A magnificent book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Markus Zusak
“Please believe me when I tell you that I picked up each soul that day as if it were newly born. I even kissed a few weary, poisoned cheeks. I listened to their last, gasping cries. Their vanishing words. I watched their love visions and freed them from their fear.”

Markus Zusak
“After perhaps thirty meters, just as a soldier turned around, the girl was felled. Hands were clamped upon her from behind and the boy next door brought her down. He forced her knees to the road and suffered the penalty. He collected her punches as if they were presents. Her bony hands and elbows were accepted with nothing but a few short moans. He accumulated the loud, clumsy specks of saliva and tears as if they were lovely to his face, and more important, he was able to hold her down.”

Markus Zusak
“I carried [Rudy] softly through the broken street...with him I tried a little harder [at comforting]. I watched the contents of his soul for a moment and saw a black-painted boy calling the name Jesse Owens as he ran through an imaginary tape. I saw him hip-deep in some icy water, chasing a book, and I saw a boy lying in bed, imagining how a kiss would taste from his glorious next-door neighbor. He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry.”

Markus Zusak
“His soul sat up. It met me. Those kinds of souls always do - the best ones. The ones who rise up and say "I know who you are and I am ready. Not that I want to go, of course, but I will come." Those souls are always light because more of them have been put out. More of them have already found their way to other places.”

Markus Zusak
“She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...”

Markus Zusak
“I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant...I AM HAUNTED BY HUMANS.”

“***HERE IS A SMALL FACT***
You are going to die.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tonia One of my new all time faves. I can't even bring myself to read another book yet because I want to keep thinking about this one.

Kelly Oooh, I'm so excited to read it!

Lisaslc44 i just got this book today...wohoo. gotta love the Salt Lake labberries :)

Lisaslc44 thanks tonia for posting this book - i LOVED it!

Courtney I'm reading it too! About 3/4 done...my Mom is like "you're not DONE yet???", she really liked it, I like it too.

Kelly I just started it yesterday. I'm really liking it so far...think it is pretty cool that Death is the narrator. I still just can't believe that the Holocaust could actually happen...I mean, I KNOW that it happened, but how did everyone let it happen. Well, I guess it keeps happening (with other groups in different numbers) - look at Darfur, North Korea, Iraq (under Saddam) etc.

Kelly Yeah, it is a very powerful wonderful book...I can't stop thinking about Leisel...wondering what she is doing? I know, its scary how characteres in books I love seem real to me...

Wendy I heard Kelly and carrie talking about this book at the park
And so I picked it up at the library. It really is one of
Those books that changes your life. An entirely different
Perspective on Germany and the war. The part the crushed me
Was her little brother. Every time they mentioned him I would cry. Really I cried my way through this book. I still can't stop thinking about it. I am still waiting to start a new book and every thing else seems so fruffy after that. Just really incredible.

Kelly yeah, i didn't want to let them go...i sooo loved rudy! the way he loved leisel was so precious - and he was so young too. there was so much to cry about in that book, but it was such an amazing perspective - i agree!

message 10: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori hello! next time you write a review....make sure that the first two sentences arent spoliers. if so, let me know ahead of time. geese....

Kelly Wow! Sorry...didn't realize my first sentence was a spoiler. The review I wrote after I finished the book was a spoiler and labeled accordingly.