Eden Winters's Reviews > Ghost

Ghost by Carole Cummings

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Carole Cummings doesn't merely tell a good story, she paints a masterpiece with words until you can see, hear, feel, taste, and smell the world she's created. The world-building is spectacular, and the folks she's filled that world with are three-dimensional and engaging.

The story is told from multiple POVs and switches between the current time and the past, and while this may sound confusing, it gave me clarity in the unfolding events, and I even found myself looking forward to the next little trip into the past that would unveil yet another clue into the current state of affairs.

Fen is heartwrenchingly tragic, and Malick is awesome as the hero, flawed, irreverant, and danged proud of it. Add in an odd assortment of enemies and allies, and I found myself on the edge of my seat in excitement one minute, and howling with laughter the next. The breakfast scene with Malick's acquired family is hilarious!

The one intimacy between our two heroes manages to be tender, scorching hot, passionate, and fierce, all at the same time, and I am in awe of Ms. Cummings ability to portray emotions with a finger sliding down a cheek, a sidelong glance, and even the gentle caress of hair on skin.

There's never a dull moment, and now I count the days until I can rejoin Fen, Malick, and their allies on this grand adventure. Ms. Cummings' sweeping epic reminds me why I fell in love with reading to begin with. Highly, highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost.

02/21/2012
10.0% "Oh man! Does Carole Cummings ever have a way with words!"
02/23/2012
20.0% "Awesome, awesome, awesome."
02/26/2012
51.0% "Love, love, loving this! I wish I had another day of to finish it. I have so little time through the week!"
03/02/2012
76.0% "I am in awe of a master. That is one smoking hot love scene, that's tender, passionate, and fiece, all at once, and over-all gorgeously written."
03/02/2012
80.0% "“I don’t want to sleep with Fen, either!” Shig turned to Fen, sweetly earnest. “I would, you’re very cute, but you’re very noisy, too, and Malick sort of called dibs, so it’s only fair.” She paused, eyebrows lifting. “Unless you really want to? You don’t want to, right?” ROFLMAO!"
03/03/2012
94.0% "Layer upon layer upon layer of intrigue - spellbinding!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MandyM I found it just got better the further I got into the story.:)

Eden Winters Yes! I need to go to bed but can't force myself to stop reading!

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Thanks for the rec, Eden. I added it to my TBB list.

Eden Winters Let me know what you think! I was blown away.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Sure thing!

Eden Winters I really loved it, Lisa, and firmly believe you will too. The writing is absolutely gorgeous, and I fell in love with Fen and Malick.