Selina's Reviews > Hana

Hana by Lauren Oliver

Feb 05, 14

bookshelves: secondary-school, reviewed, coverstruck
Read on March 01, 2012

This short story told from Hana's perspective is the perfect edition to a perfect series. Hana has always been one of my favourite characters and her friendship with Lena was certainly very intriguing. Not only does this story provide a further insight into Hana's character, but it also introduces the reader to a whole new perspective in the world of Delirium.

Hana has always been different to Lena and this becomes even more apparent as the reader goes through the novel. There are specific contrasts in their character, background and attitudes and Lauren Oliver presents this with a fabulous flow of words and images. The reader comes to learn about Hana's family, her stifling life in a higher-society and most of all, her yearning for adventure.

However, the one similarity that bonds Hana and Lena together in this dystopic world is the fact that they both manage to find one thing: amor deliria nervosa, or to the rest of us, 'love.' While Lena seeks solace in Alex, it seems that Hana, the one who has always been the better of the two, is not so lucky.

The ending was unexpected, and it certainly caught me by surprise. I had to re-read it a few times over for the full impact of the words to take effect. It was certainly shocking, but surprisingly, I did not hate Hana for what she did, but rather empathised with her on an odd level. Lauren Oliver has a beautiful conduct over words and any reader will find that 'Hana' is well-paced and beautifully written throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hana.