Jess's Reviews > The Diary of Pelly D

The Diary of Pelly D by L.J. Adlington

Oct 07, 08

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, library, science-fiction
Read in July, 2008, read count: 1.5

I tried to read this book a few years ago, but couldn't seem to get past the first couple of pages. Once again, this was a difficult book for me to get into. It took me at least a day and a half to read the first thiry pages or so. After I was into it, it became an easier read because I was curious to see what happened to Pelly D. and Toni V. Adlington created a new world for her readers, but failed to establish it. She threw out some hints here and there for the reader to pick up, but it was still hard to create an overall picture in my mind of the setting of this story. The Toni V. intervals of the books also bothered me because it really disturbed me that these people were still submitting themselves to the brainwashing and the "rules and regulations" of the Hitler figure of the novel. It bothered me because I think that Adlington intended to write a resonating story, but it ended up sounding like a preachy "warning to mankind" kind of story. And speaking of Hitler, if it wouldn't have been for a few name and setting changes here and there, this is the exact story of the Holocaust everyone is familiar with. This is fine, but the names and setting of the novel aren't enough to make it a unique, original piece. Overall, this book was just "okay," and I probably won't pick it up to read it again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Pelly D.