Tatiana's Reviews > Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most Astute Observer of the Human Heart

Jane Austen Made Me Do It by Laurel Ann Nattress

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: poetry-short-stories
Read from February 17 to 27, 2012

Each one of these short stories was inspired by Jane Austen or her works, in some way paying homage to the “soother of every sorrow”—with original stories about the characters in her books, modern day influences, or even Jane herself. Some of my friends here on GR will recall that certain ode to Jane Austen *cough* that I wrote awhile back. Needless to say, I understand where all these writers are coming from concerning their infatuation with the queen of regency romance.

I did take notes while reading, but I was long-winded and don’t have time now to transcribe it all. So, the highlights will have to suffice. My favorites were “The Riding Habit,” “Jane Austen, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!,” “What Would Jane Austen Do?,” "Love and Best Wishes, Aunt Jane," “When Only a Darcy Will Do,” “Mr. Bennet Meets His Match,” and “Letters to Lydia.” These stood out because they brought something fresh to the genre of inspired-by fiction for Jane Austen and her world. I especially can’t wait for the full-length novel of WWJAD.

Overall, a very fine compilation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen Made Me Do It.

02/23/2012 page 300
67.0% "Seven stories to go...they've been fairly inspired so far"