Chapter by Chapter's Reviews > All's Fair in Vanity's War

All's Fair in Vanity's War by Elizabeth Marx

Feb 18, 2012

it was ok
Read from March 12 to 16, 2012

All’s Fair in Vanity’s War was a novel that was unique from the start. In fact, I found the opening sentence of the novel so entertaining that I knew the entire novel would be comedic and supernatural at the same time. Besides the description of the novel (which totally drew me in), the main thing that caught my eye was the cover. I mean, come on, who doesn’t notice what a beautiful cover that is? And for those of you who are wondering, the person on the cover, glimpsing at the vanity is not the Seer. It’s *cough cough* Kaleigh *cough cough*.

Covers put aside, I found the novel so unique! I’m pretty sure I’ve said that twice now but it is unlike anything I’ve ever read before. Not only does it start off where our narrator suffers in a car crash and dies, then watches her (ex?) boyfriend throw a fireball. Pretty exciting? I think so. As the novel progressed, I did find the way that author Elizabeth Marx chose to write the story very interesting. While it was told from the point of view of the Seer who is examining the entire story as its taking place, I began to forget that I was watching the story through the Seer’s eyes and began to just think of it as written in the third person. Though I will admit that at certain points of time, it would begin to get confusing.

My personal favorite character was Kaleigh. I found her fun and quirky, not to mention that she had a fiery spirit to match her fiery red hair (hardy-har-har). The most memorable scene that I will never forget with Kaleigh is when she shares a kiss with a certain someone and says that she’s disappointed and was saving her first kiss. I found it adorable and funny at the same time. The rest of the characters weren't as favorable; I honestly disliked her best friend because her dialogue just seemed very childish and unrealistic.

The “supernatural” portion of the novel was very delightful. I found the novel just packed with different creatures from Banshees to leprechauns to Druids. The whole ExtraOrdinary and OtherWorldly portion of the novel was different and again unique. Especially when Kaleigh would contact her mother through the mirror. I have no clue why, but the “mirror, mirror on the whole” type scenes would always have me smiling and eager to read on. However, with the big mix of supernatural creatures, I would sometimes get confused (again).

I would recommend this novel to somebody who wants a romance story taking place from the dead ex-girlfriend’s POV (*la smiley face*) or just wants to read a very unique supernatural story. Unique. I feel like I’ve used that word a lot this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All's Fair in Vanity's War.

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly why the two rating? your review sounds positive..was it the confusion?

Chapter by Chapter Kimberly(Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer) wrote: "why the two rating? your review sounds positive..was it the confusion?"
Yes, my daughter read and reviewed it and she said the concept of the book was great, but she kept getting confused.