Richard's Reviews > The Last Command

The Last Command by Timothy Zahn

May 04, 12

bookshelves: star-wars, teen, young-adult, science-fiction
Read from April 30 to May 03, 2012 — I own a copy

This is an excellent book in the conclusion to the fantastic Thrawn trilogy. This series truly feels like it could be movies 7-9, with a continuation and expanding of them and many nods back to the original films.

The story is excellent and probably the strongest in the series (and other two were also excellent). I really enjoyed seeing most of the original/main cast having adventures together. The balance between action sequences and talking/planning/emotional scenes is perfect.

With the additional ships and troops that Thrawn picks up in the second book the Empire really feels like a massive threat to the entire Republic where are before they were dangerous but not overly so, this really brings up the dramatic tension for this book.

It is also classic Star Wars, good triumphing over evil, being nice to 'little insignificant people' will benefit you in the end. The only part of the story I didn't like was the delaying of Luke's group as it seemed to do this solely to make sure all the plots came to their conclusion at the same time.

The revelation of who Delta Source was really surprised me and is one reason I gave this book five stars.

The characters are again excellent, the original cast (from the movies) behave as you would expect them to, but are also expanded. All of the new characters (those that are not in the movies) are really well fleshed out and are interesting characters even those that are 'evil'.

The dialogue is very good and character thoughts are convincing.

The descriptions of action sequences is again good and it is easy to follow what is happening. The description of aliens and ships is again somewhat lacking but it is not as bad in this book as the other two. The recapping of the events in the first two books is well done.

Overall I would say this is an excellent book and series, with excellent plots and characters. They feel like the could have been the sequel movies and are a great introduction to the Expanded Universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Command.

05/01/2012 page 104