Richard's Reviews > Dark Force Rising

Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: star-wars, teen, young-adult, science-fiction
Read from April 26 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

Book two of the Thrawn trilogy picks up the story right up from the end of the first book, and is in every way as enjoyable as the first one.

The characters are excellent, Zahn does a excellent job of really fleshing out all of the characters especially those that aren't from the movies. The new characters are just as interesting to read about as those we already from the films. Those from the movies act in just the way we would expect and are enjoyable to read about. All of the personalities are enjoyable in their own way even the characters on the 'evil' side.

The story is excellent and it starts out with each character from the main group going out on different plots and adventures but they all get tied together at the end for an epic battle. The plots are exciting and suspenseful with a great balance between action/adventure and talking/character development.

The dialogue is well written and you can hear and believe what the characters are saying, Zahn also does a good job of making alien accents sound convincing.

The descriptions of the action is very good and for the most part it is easy to follow what is happening, although there was one point towards the end where political actions were being discussed and I found a little hard to follow. There is also little to no descriptions of the sights, sounds and smell of the Star Wars universe and if I wanted to know what a character, alien or space vehicle looked like I needed to look on-line. The only time they are described in detail is when it is relevant to the plot, which makes it obvious the thing he is describing is important even if it doesn't seem so at the time in the story.

One other problem I found is that there was no recapping of the events of the first book, either at the start or during this book. This means if you haven't read the first book recently you will have to read a summary of the story to remind yourself what happened.

Overall I enjoyed this book, the story and characters are excellent. The problems were the same as the first book, a lack of describing the sights, sounds and smells. There was also a lack of reminders of what happened in the first book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Force Rising.

04/27/2012 page 114