Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Buried

Buried by Linda Joy Singleton

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: ya, read-in-2012, galleys
Read from February 18 to 19, 2012

Buried: A Goth Girl Mystery is a spinoff series to Linda Joy Singleton's popular self-published The Seer series. I enjoyed (didn't love, didn't dislike) the first book of The Seer but was never very motivated to continue. So when I saw the e-galley for Buried I thought it was the perfect opportunity to give the author another try. Singleton has published many books since Don't Die Dragonfly and I always like to see how the author has improved.

Unfortunately this book started strong then slowly unravelled.

Thorn aka Beth Anne is actually one of the more likable goths in YA literature. Often I find them too stereotypical and just too overdone. Thorn is a little more self-aware and a little less self-righteous. She's a minister's daughter who loves her family, wants to please her parents but still wants to be different. As far as fictional goths, she's atypical because for the most part she's a good kid. But she isn't your typical minister's daughter. She's a Finder, pretty much a low level psychic who has an uncanny ability to find things.

The problem with this book isn't the character. It's the plot. Though the book is supposed to be a mystery, very little time is spent on actual detective work. Thorn finds a strange, rather ugly, locket that makes her Finder Senses start tingling. It quickly leads her a dead baby buried in a shallow grave. It's a solid idea for a mystery, believable and creepy.

But too much of this book is spent on subplots. There's a talent contest, with a guest judge famous popstar, that Thorn joins in order to investigate the participants. Aside from asking someone for pictures and emailing her friend (Manny from The Seer) to do some research, Thorn does very little detective work. Most of the book is spent on the Grinning Reaper, a high school prankster who seeks vengeance on bullies. It's a fun little plot, but the book seemed to lose track of it's priorities. Eventually the mystery is solved, though shoddily and more through mishap than any real detective work.

I can't say this book was terrible. It was a fairly pleasant, light reading experience. But I also can't say that it's very good. It felt like the author had quite a few interesting story ideas and had trouble choosing which plotline to follow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buried.

02/18/2012
8.0% "So far so good. I only read the first book of the other series and BARELY remember it (other than generally positive feelings, not love but okay). So far that hasn't been an issue which is GOOD. I hate when "spin off" series can't be read alone."
02/18/2012
20.0% "Imperfect but fun so far. I'm enjoying the fast paced reading."
02/19/2012
39.0% "Light and fun. Sometimes goth characters annoy me but I like Thorn quite a bit."
02/19/2012
47.0% "Basic timeline error. She's meeting someone at the mall at noon then goes to the mall and all the stores are closed for the night. Ugh. Sometimes I hate myself for noticing these things that seem insignificant but bother me." 2 comments
02/19/2012
60.0% "Another tiny error that I can't help noticing. A few pages ago Skarla said "Hope you like chinese" then her grandparents make lasagna which is Italian (unless there's a weird chinese variety) These are the type of things I try not to hold against an ARC, hoping they are later corrected."
02/19/2012
70.0% "Warning this is just me venting because this is an uncorrected (I hope!) ARC and I want to keep track because I'll be curious if these typos are in finished project. "Behind" for being and "Bows Eye" (LOL LOL) for "Bulls Eye." It's doing the middle lag right now but still not bad."
02/19/2012
79.0% "This book seems to confuse the word "unforgettable" and "forgettable" meaning that what it's saying is the exact opposite of what it means."
02/19/2012
90.0% "Nothing bad will happen at a school singing competition OF COURSE NOT *shakes head*"
02/19/2012
95.0% "In the conclusion the name of a character changed SUDDENLY. Part of me wonders how "uncorrected" a proof should be sent out for marketing purposes. It's hard to know which are temporary glaring errors and what will be fixed."