Sarah's Reviews > Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large

Read My Hips by Kim Brittingham

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: memoir-biography, culture-discourse

My Review: For anyone who has experienced a tumultuous relationship with food and body image— which would be almost all of us— self-acceptance may initially seem like a radical idea. And that’s because it is! As a society, we’re not taught to love ourselves and feel comfortable in our bodies. In fact, the exact opposite is true. The diet and weight-loss industry (along with several other equally criminal corporate interests) rake in millions upon millions of dollars each year by planting the malicious seeds of negative body image and cashing in on the incredible self-loathing that inevitably festers within us. The idea that we are not whole and good exactly as we are is a cruel, criminal, and incredibly destructive institutionalized message that we must challenge. And Kim Bettingham is doing just that!

Read My Hips is an insightful and wonderfully captivating memoir about freedom, acceptance, and unrestricted self-love. I, like many others, have struggled with body image issues for most of my life and can attest to the fact that self-love is one of the most challenging concepts to internalize. Am I really okay the way I am? What about the roll of my belly? The stretch marks on my inner thighs? The sway of my hips and my round behind?

It’s safe to say that Kim’s answer would be a resounding YES— you are whole and you are beautiful!

It’s amazing to me sometimes how difficult it is to truly love myself and appreciate my own wonderful uniqueness— flaws included. Indeed, true self- love is a lofty goal and it’s one that I work toward on a daily basis. And although it sometimes feels like it, I know that I am not alone. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone on a similar journey; to anyone who is tired of destroying themselves with hatred and body-related obsessions. It’s time to let go and learn to love ourselves with genuine excitement, openness, and gentle, unwavering acceptance.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Read My Hips.