buppyspek's Reviews > Heft

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: kindle, fat-protagonist, read-2012
Recommended to buppyspek by: Jennifer Weiner
Read from February 18 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm having a hard time dealing with the style of writing. The first section is told from the point of view of a middle-aged retired professor of English literature (I believe that's what he taught, based on the comments he made). It bothers me that an educated individual, in a position of imparting his knowledge onto others, would write down his thoughts using an ampersand instead of the word "and." He also uses the letter "O" instead of the word "oh," which isn't quite so annoying, as it has been seen many times throughout the history of literature - it's just not conventional in today's literature. There's just something about the voice of this character that doesn't seem to fit with the idea I have in my head of a professor's voice.

Other parts of the novel are written from the point of view of an 18-year-old boy, and he uses the word "and," even though I feel he would be the more likely choice to use an ampersand instead, especially in this age of text-speak and internet shorthand. But his voice, while simple, actually fits the character in question, unlike the voice of the professor.

All that being said, I did enjoy the book. I got used to the voices of the characters. The story was a study in loneliness, sad, real.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jess The ampersands, "O"s and lack of quotes around dialogue in Kel's parts for the story bugged me too, but I loved the story so much that I soon got past it, as it sounds you did, too.