Barbara's Reviews > My Friend Rabbit

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

Feb 18, 2012

bookshelves: caldecott, animals, picture-book
Read in February, 2012

Perhaps the beauty in this picture book story is the universality of the experiences shared by Mouse and Rabbit. Because Mouse loves his friend, he puts up with him, even when he causes trouble. Although Rabbit means well, his solutions to problems often lead to even more problems, and nothing ever goes as he plans. Young and older readers can relate to the story because so many of them have friends just like Rabbit. This simply told tale has a timeless quality about it, and the hand-colored relief prints show Rabbit's gleeful joy as he plays with Mouse's airplane, seemingly unconcerned about the craft becoming stuck in a tree or Mouse's inability to see while he's flying. The simple text follows the two from mishap to mishap. Mouse puts up with Rabbit and joins him in playful adventures but never really tries to change him at all. That makes me wonder about Mouse's patience and tolerance and Rabbit's lack of awareness. What should we do when a friend really is as clueless about consequences as Mouse's friend?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Friend Rabbit.

04/26/2016 marked as: read