Sunil's Reviews > Green Lantern: Secret Origin

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on February 22, 2012

Having seen the movie and the pilot for the upcoming animated series, I thought it was high time I actually read some Green Lantern beyond "Mogo Doesn't Socialize," and Geoff Johns's reboot/origin story seemed a good introduction to the character (the Hal Jordan Green Lantern, at least). And, in fact, it is, although Hal is kind of a dick for most of the book. He does grow, however, and he has Daddy Issues and all that. Johns seems particularly good at getting at the human element of superheroes, treating the human character with just as much, if not more, importance as the superhero. The more fantastical elements are also exciting and intriguing, especially all the business about prophecies, the dark secret of the Guardians, and what the fuck is up with not being able to attack the color yellow, come on now. All in all, a solid story that doesn't quite sell me on the character and the world (I'm still kind of whatever on Hal, and the Lanternverse just seems so big and sprawling and complicated that I'm afraid of it), but does make me the teensiest bit more interested in reading more of Johns's GL run, at the very least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.