Chanelle's Reviews > Spellcaster

Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: arc-review
Read from February 18 to 27, 2012

A great sequel to an already interesting and fresh story.

In Spellcaster, it takes place quite soon after Spellbound finishes. Brendan and Emma have broken the curse and defeated Anthony. But Emma has realised she's a witch will actual magical powers, which her bff Angelique is only too happy to help her learn.

The characters were better developed this time around, and I found them all great and easy to read about. Brendan was his usual swoon worthy self, and Emma didn't make me want to tear my hair out. She was brave and vulnerable and strong. She knew what she had to do and she didn't sit there and complain about it much. Though I did feel that Emma's cousin, Ashley, was thrown in because she had such a major role in the first book, and needed to be mentioned in the second.

The romance was sizzling, and while I knew who the antagonist was from the start, it was still well played out and the tension was great. The explanations of magic and the scenes were interesting too. And the random scenes from Angelique's POV were actually refreshing and full of great voice.

4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spellcaster.