Emma's Reviews > Yellow Crocus

Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, fiction, historical-fiction, free-books, i-own, kindle-books, favorites, top-reads-of-2012
Read from February 18 to 19, 2012

This book was gripping from the word go. A freebie on kindle a few weeks ago I thought this might just be another book following the theme of the popular 'the help' out as both a book and a movie. What I didn't expect was to be dragged into the story until I couldn't help but keep turning the pages until the end.

I don't know much about 1800's American history, it was never something I really studied at school, but I don't doubt for one minute that this book was well researched and true to how it was then. Following the story of Elizabeth (Lisbeth) and her nurse Mattie you see the issues that they have to contend with through two sets of eyes and you see a young woman grow up and gain an understanding from the disappointments that she felt in her childhood where she felt abandoned by her nurse who was only trying to protect her family. In this book we see the childhood naivety turn to horror to something that must be taken a stand, no matter how small, against.

This book was cleverly written and descriptive enough of the surroundings that you felt like you were experiencing the emotional rollercoaster along with the characters. The yellow crocus adds a recognisable feature to the story that is set over 150 years ago and is something that will give reminders and likes to the story when these are seen over the coming springs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yellow Crocus.