Steven's Reviews > The Worst Journey in the World: Antarctic 1910-1913

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Sep 26, 08

bookshelves: cold_places, exploration, maps, geography, science, natural_history
Read in September, 2008

It's not entirely fair to compare this book with The Home of the Blizzard by Douglas Mawson, but since I read them back to back, and since both authors spent overlapping seasons in Antarctica, I can't help looking at them side by side.

I enjoyed both, but Cherry-Garrard's account was a little harder to follow. I thought that Mawson was better able to synthesize the reports and diaries of his fellows than was Cherry-Garrard. And while Cherry-Garrard emphasizes the scientific emphasis of the Terra Nova Expedition in order to contrast Scott's tragedy from Amundsen's triumph, I still felt that the scientific endeavors of Mawson's account are more clearly outlined and explained.

However, there are parts of Cherry-Garrard's writing that just captivated me. The whole chapter about the winter Journey that he, Bill Wilson and Birdie Bowers, made across 120 miles (round trip),in -70 degree temperatures, in the dark, to collect the eggs of some Emperor Penguins just floored me.

Knowing hardships and deprivations that Scott's Terra Nova Expedition endured, you can't help but admire anyone who spent time in Antarctica in the early 20th century. After reading the whole book, the last sentence will knock your thick woolen socks off.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Journey in the World.

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Steve, your writing is rich and sophisticated and captivating. Your reviews give glimpses of the story, assess and entertain. Call me a groupie. Loved the last sentence of this one!
Donna