Michael Loynd's Reviews > All Things Irish: A Novel

All Things Irish by Michael Loynd

7591931
Mar 16, 12

(Review from the author)

My inspiration for ALL THINGS IRISH came from my wife, who worked one holiday season at this wonderful little Irish shop and came home each night with the most entertaining, laugh-out-loud, put-a-smile-on-your-face stories. This O'merican subculture was so fun, I couldn't wait each night to hear the latest. The women who worked there were a bewitching, tight-knit cast of characters unto themselves, both strong and hilarious, who lived and breathed all things Irish. Then I recalled another peculiar Irish shop from summers I spent in Door County. I remembered it as this quaint, but out-of-place outpost in the middle of this Wisconsin hinterland renown for its rich Scandinavian heritage of fishboils and goats that graze on Swedish sod-covered roofs! My goal is not to create a literary masterpiece, but share my love and laughter of this marvelously fun culture clash and the great people who bring it to life, to entertain you with a fast light read, make you laugh, wrap you in the wonderful world of Door County and Irishness, and leave you with a smile on your face when you finish. I hope I've succeeded and apologize for my shortcomings. Many good wishes! And as the Irish say, Cead Mile Failte (100,000 Welcomes).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Things Irish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anduine Dia duit Michael,

couldn't resist commenting on your own book comment. I stumbled over this little literary gem quite by mistake (I was looking for a wedding present for my son to go along with his irish honey moon) and I just wanted to let you know that you quite succeded in your ambition of leaving people with a smile after finishing your book - at least it left me this way, as a matter of fact was such a fun an entertaining read that I could not put it down and read it all in one go. And to find out that the shop is based on a "true story" makes it even more charming. Many go raibh maith agat to your wife who inspired you, hope to read more from you soon

Slán agat and Go n-éirí do bóthar leat

Anduine - who btw lives in Germany surrounded by many leprechauns dressed in red, and who never taints her beer by colouring it green ;-)

Michael Loynd Anduine--
Thank you so much for your wonderful note. You are so sweet. You put a smile on my face. :-) So glad you enjoyed it! And I'm impressed with your Gaelic. You are too fun! Maith thu! Many good wishes to you--and for your son's wedding.

Best,
Michael

Anduine Michael

thank you, for the compliment on my Gaelic, actually I write it far better than speaking it (but speaking it improves after a few pints of Guiness)but as the Irish would say "Is fearr Gaeilge briste, na Bearla cliste - iss far gale-geh brishteh naw bear-elh clish-teh :-)"
(Broken Irish is better than clever English - one of the first phrases I learned).
I will relate the good wishes to my son of course, actually I am sure that he will like your book as well. Already recommended it to my friends both here and on facebook and some already marked it down as "to-read"

as for now,