Judy's Reviews > The Russian Affair

The Russian Affair by Michael Wallner

U_50x66
Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

Growing up with the fear of the Russians ( I remember when it was announced on the radio that Stalin had died and I was even more afraid thinking that his ghost might get me) and now seeing how the U.S. is changing to become more Soviet-like in its distribution of wealth and "equality", it was informative to read this "romantic" novel translated from German.

The novel exposes us to the Russian hierarchy and its privileges and the games played in espionage at all levels. This book, for me, was flawlessly written. The story, characters, and settings were all well crafted and believable. Most of the book takes place in Moscow, but there are a few chapters in Siberia and I sure could feel the bleakness and penetrating cold of the place. There are love stories on all levels, too....mother/father/son; wife/husband; grandfather/grandson; daughter/father and then there were the affairs of heart.

It was refreshing to read a book where the adversaries weren't Russian/American. It was a complex story about being a non-Russian from a Russian territory and being a Russian living in Moscow.

Recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Russian Affair.