Jeff's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Jul 08, 07

Recommended for: Harry Potter Fans
Read in May, 2007

I haven't been as avid a reader of the Harry Potter books as most Harry Potter fans have been. I have to say though that they are getting better. The best part about Book Four is the character Mad Eye Moody. He is by far one of the most interesting and dynamic characters so far in the series. Also, there is a nice twist to this character later on in the novel. This additon to the series also displays how truly evil the Lord Voldemort character is in a way the other books had not done, which made it a more adult read. The downside of the Goblet of Fire is the unnecessary length of the book. Rowling takes much too long getting the story rolling. The first seven chapters could have been condensed into two or three, and the Quidditch World Cup seems to never end. However, the tasks in the Triwizard Tournament are fun, and once again, the twists at the end, as with the other Potter books, make it a worthwhile read. I recommend it. Just be ready for it to take a couple hundred pages to get interesting and for the character of Ron to be annoying and irritating on a whole other level throughout the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Penny I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book right now, and I just had to say that I agree that Ron is a tiresome little twit this time around! Cheers.

message 2: by Nia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nia I have to agree with your statement that the beginning was very long and could have been condensed. It took me a very long time to get though the first couple of chapters but it didn't take me half as long to finish the book as it was much more engaging. I really liked the twist at the end of the book as well. It really adds dimension to the plot. I also liked that J.K Rowling added some more details about the other characters lives like Ron and Hermione which also contributed to the considerable increase in the size in comparison to the last three books.