Casey Whitworth's Reviews > The Inquisitor's Key

The Inquisitor's Key by Jefferson Bass

Mar 31, 12

Having never read the prior Body Farm novels by Jefferson Bass, I recently received an advance copy of the new novel The Inquisitor’s Key. Within minutes of cracking open the novel, I had a familiar yet infrequent experience: you know—that proud, greedy feeling you get when you finally discover an author (and trick yourself into believing that you were the first).

The Inquisitor’s Key features dual narrative arcs on a collision course with one another—a modern-day murder mystery with a case of unidentified bones and a medieval account of a ruthless inquisitor-turned-pope in Avignon, France—and I must say that the author deftly and seamlessly bridges not only continents but centuries as well.

Those familiar and unfamiliar with the Body Farm novels will be excited to pick up the trail of Dr. Bill Brockton, renowned forensic anthropologist and founder of the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee, as the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) calls him away from his grisly yet fascinating scientific studies to investigate a body at a local murder scene. But what’s in store for Dr. Brockton is definitely out of the jurisdiction of the TBI: the bones that await his expertise in Avignon, France could represent the most groundbreaking archaeological discovery of the past two thousand years! The urgent question then becomes—who will kill to possess these bones and who will die to keep their existence secret from humanity (and why)?

In this fast-paced, intelligent thriller, Jefferson Bass explores the history of art and religion, the science of forensic anthropology and the architecture and geography of modern-day Europe. Transcending genre, the novel becomes an unforgettable commentary on mankind’s two mistresses: superstition and science.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inquisitor's Key.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Jefferson Wow -- thank you for that incredibly generous review! May your tribe increase a millionfold!

Naomi Give yourself a treat and go back and read the entire series...it is a hoot!

Casey Whitworth Naomi wrote: "Give yourself a treat and go back and read the entire series...it is a hoot!"

Thanks, Naomi! I actually just read The Bone Yard and now I am starting Carved in Bone. Out of order, I know. But that's how I roll. . .