Mae's Reviews > Sputnik Sweetheart

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

Jul 08, 07

Read in January, 2006

what really made me grab this book from the bookshelf in the first place? was it because of the name 'Murakami'? or was it because of the woman seductively beckoning me to caress the cover and explore its inner pages? or... was it the endearment sweetheart or the word 'sputnik'?!

sputnik! that did it for me. i used to tease friends for being too 'sputnik' - like a satellite going round and round with lots of energy. i would especially tease someone who had an electrifying crush on someone! :-)

i was not disappointed with the book. i was also very respectful of Murakami that he ventured into this topic - woman lusting after another woman. not something an Asian can talk about nor write about around that time (and still carries a stigma in our society up till now!). uf! i loved the tug between unrequited love and continued hope that love will come along anyway in any form. poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sputnik Sweetheart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel Clausen I was really less concerned with the female to female love aspects of the book. The one thing I loved about Murakami's take on love is just how fickle of a thing it can be. Love strikes in ways that upset the way we feel the universe should work. For that reason, I thought it was something I could relate to complete.