Laura's Reviews > The Cruel Sea

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: audio-books, hf-world-war-ii, read-2012
Read from February 18 to March 04, 2012

From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
The Cruel Sea is the story of the crew of a newly commissioned corvette, Compass Rose, a ship that forms part of the escort to merchant convoys during World War II.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cruel Sea.

02/26/2012 "1/2. Dramatisation of Nicholas Monsarrat's World War II novel."
03/04/2012 "Episode 2/2"

Bettie☯ What a treat from BBC

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Thanks Laura for informing me.

Laura Bettie wrote: "What a treat from BBC"

yes indeed!!!

Laura Chrissie wrote: "Thanks Laura for informing me."

my pleasure dear Chrissie!!!

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I really am enjoying listening to the BBC readings. It is you that has introduced me to them. I eat my lunch listening to some drama!

Bettie☯ Ooooo Chrissie, you are listening along too - that's lovely
:O)

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Yup, currently I am listening to The Dream Life of Sukhanov. I am enjoying it more an more.

Bettie☯ Luckily, I have Sukhanov in paper form so haven't taken up with the abridged radio version - it is a hauntingly beautiful tale isn't it.

Flights of delicate fancy do not transcend to radio so well, where as the Cruel Sea should work wonderfully well.

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I enjoy the BBC readings, but they are so abridged that they cannot be compared to the experience of reading the book. However, they are enjoyable, and if you like what is delivered, then you can go back and read the book in paper. I had Sukhanov on mt TBR shelf so I figured why not listen!

Laura Chrissie wrote: "I enjoy the BBC readings, but they are so abridged that they cannot be compared to the experience of reading the book. However, they are enjoyable, and if you like what is delivered, then you can g..."

Some dramatizations must be read in printed books also, I do agree with you Chrissie.

Bettie☯ It works both ways though - some of those biographies and/or misery tales are more than enough within the allotted radio times.
:O)