Marilyn's Reviews > Bloodchild and Other Stories

Bloodchild and Other Stories by Octavia E. Butler

Feb 18, 2012

Read in November, 2010 , read count: 2

In this collection the short story, "Bloodchild," was the first piece I had ever read by Octavia Butler. But, I had read it in Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine back in the 80's and could never recall its name or author. Yet, it stayed in my mind. Last winter, when I downloaded Bloodchild to my Kindle and began reading, I cried out in joy when at last here was the very story that had haunted me! That multi-awarded story is worth the price of the book! Basically, it focuses on Gan—a human—living on an alien planet among its powerful insect-like hosts, the Tlic, some time in the future. The Tlic were a powerful but dying species when humans landed on their planet. They form symbiotic relationships with humans -- to lay their eggs inside them, which eventually hatch, killing the human host. Usually human males are chosen for this honor because impregnating human females will leave fewer humans being born, diminishing the number of possible hosts. You've GOT to read this story -- if not all of them in the collection!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodchild and Other Stories.