Mimi Valentine's Reviews > This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5!

First thing you have to know is that this book deserves 5 stars as much as any 5-star book does — maybe more! The only reason my rating isn't perfect is because of the sudden ending, which I had to stare at for a bit because I couldn't believe it was over just like that.

Otherwise, I can safely say that this book is perfect imperfection! An absolute must-read.

This is Not a Test isn't your average zombie book. It still has zombies and thrilling scenes and an intensity that will break any scale, but it's not all about gore (which I was thankful for because I don't have the strongest stomach!). It's about six teenagers fighting for survival in the apocalypse. And I promise that once you start, you won't be able to stop!

Sloane is the narrator and such a broken girl that I fell into a quick, fierce, and protective love for her from the very start! She's beaten by her father, and her older sister Lily (the one person that she trusted) abandoned Sloane to save herself. The other characters will break your heart too. Sweet Rhys, guilty Cary, wallowing Harrison, and the inseparable twins Grace and Trace... Damn if they're imperfect, but I loved them all so much!

But what makes this book so BRILLIANT is how real it all is. Because when you throw six teenagers into one building surrounded by zombies, they're not going to get along. They're not going to be perfect. They're not going to always do the right things or say the right things, but you love them despite all that because you know you'd probably do the exact same!

With brilliant writing and a brilliant premise and brilliant characters and — why don't I just say it? — brilliant everything else, This is Not a Test is definitely my favourite zombie book to date! There's a little bit of romance and a lot of danger, and many more things that convince me to add Courtney Summers to my favourite authors list! :)

BUY or BORROW?: A must-buy for everyone and anyone, especially if you're a zombie fan like I just became!

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah (The Book Life) Oh my gosh, Mimi! It is so INTENSE! It's so good, though, aren't you loving it?!?

Mimi Valentine SO MUCH! My heart is breaking for Sloane though -- she's such a broken girl! It makes me want to give her a hug :')

message 3: by Molli (new) - added it

Molli Moran Funny Mimi, I JUST wrote up my review for this yesterday. It was great but very sad/hard to read.

Mimi Valentine Oh, Molli, it totally was! Especially that thing with the twins at the end :( But I'm off to read your bound-to-be-awesome review of this right now! :) <3

message 5: by Molli (new) - added it

Molli Moran Oops, I should have said that my review isn't up QUITE yet. I don't like to post ARC reviews too far in advance. But keep an eye on the blog!

Agreed, poor Grace and Trace. I felt SO bad for them.

Mimi Valentine LOL that's okay! I always try to write reviews whenever I can too because of how unpredictably busy my schedule can get, although I usually don't end up getting to them until the night before I post anyways haha... x) But I'll definitely be looking out for your review on the blog, Molli! :) <3

Giselle Yay I really liked this! I wonder if there IS going to be a sequel though. It felt a lot like a stand alone.

Mimi Valentine Gosh, I really hope there will be, Giselle! x) But I guess I have no idea where the story could possibly go from here -- happy ending? Probably no LOL :')

message 9: by Molli (new) - added it

Molli Moran As much as I'd love a sequel, I think it's a stand-alone...it just has that feel to it, like Giselle said. I do think it could have been maybe...50-ish pages longer and given a bit more closure - it just ended so abruptly!

Oh and Mimi - my review is going live this Monday!

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Exactly, Molli! When I finished the book, I literally sat there for a few minutes and thought, "That's it?" Because as stunning as it was, it had no closure at all! (view spoiler)

And yay! Will definitely be checking your review out! :)

message 11: by Molli (new) - added it

Molli Moran Agreed, Mimi! I wanted a little bit more to know how things ended up for her.

message 12: by Aa'Ishah (new) - added it

Aa'Ishah I soo want to read this! Ugh, I'm in that position so much. :'( I love how it's from the perspective of someone not wanting to live, it's so different! Amazing review, Mimi! :)

message 13: by Eunice (new) - added it

Eunice Zombie books are ♥! LOL! The way you describe how broken Sloanne makes me want to jump into the book and protect her. But I think I wouldn't be able to do that for I would definitely freak out first if I ever saw a zombie, and as much as I loved zombie books I don't want them chasing me. lol! Brilliant review, Mimi!

message 14: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine @Molli: I guess we'll just have to imagine that she got out happily and pray for the best! x)

@A: That's one thing I found so interesting about this book -- usually I'm bothered by heroines who don't try, but Sloane is different because she does become motivated to live when she has a reason to, and it's kind of beautiful :')

@Eunice: Right?? I was SO protective of Sloane, and I swear I'd probably pass out during a zombie apocalypse LOL. Or be the first one captured. A zombie apocalypse sounds cool in theory, but I don't think any of us would like it in reality! x)

Thanks, guys! <3

Jasprit I just had to pop on over here too and say you've done a fantastic job reviewing this Mimi! I really need to read some more Courtney Summers asap! :)

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine Aww, thanks so much, J! Your review was truly brilliant too -- I'm so happy you fell just as in love with it as I did! We definitely need more CS books in the world :) <3

message 17: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ I love your review Mimi! I'm even more excited to read this now, if that was possible! I'm a zombie lover (that just sounds wrong, right?) so this one has been on my radar for ages but I love how you break this story down. I love books that are character driven, so even though those lovely zombies aren't a big part of the story, I think I will still love it. :)

message 18: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Valentine I love YOU, Rachel -- thanks so much! From everything you just said, I'm almost 100% certain that you'll fall in love with this book too. It may not be extremely gory, but it's definitely a zombie book in every single way! A.k.a. It's awesome! :) <3

Kaylee Magic Mim, I'm thinking of re-reading this book for my English ISU! The whole survival and strength theme -- dontcha think it would be easy to write an essay on this?! (;