Brandon's Reviews > Rip it Up and Start Again

May 03, 2016

Recommended to Brandon by: Wiggins
Recommended for: listmakers, review-heads
Read in January, 2012 , read count: 1

Here is a band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Here is another band. They put out a great record. Here's why it was great. Then they became less great and broke up. Those bands were amazing. There have been no good bands since.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rip it Up and Start Again.

04/22 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-6 of 6) </span> <span class="smallText">(6 new)</span>

message 1: by Rik (new) - added it

Rik McRik You only read the contents page, then?

message 2: by Damnit Srenity (new)

Damnit Srenity This is a perfect review.

message 3: by Rik (last edited May 03, 2016 09:56AM) (new) - added it

Rik McRik This is nothing like a "perfect review". Although I don't agree with everything the author says and there are certainly some glaring omissions and periods of heavy bias, both for and against, the book is absolutely in no way just a list of bands and corresponding discographies. Reynolds does an amazing job of digging into the sociological, cultural and political background to the post-punk scene. He's clearly in love with some artists (PiL!!) and dismissive of some other bands and scenes but his knowledge, depth of thought and analytical capability are undeniable and vividly wrought. Brandon's review is grossly unfair and suggests only a cursory glance at the book's contents.

message 4: by Damnit Srenity (new)

Damnit Srenity I'm referring to the style of this review. Obviously this is not an in depth or even vaguely specific review, but this type of book is always biased and essentially the same thing over and over. It is impossible to subjectively state one band is undeniably great. it is and art and everyone's taste is valid. I think some of the biggest most popular bands in the world are terrible, but my opinion is no more important than your or anybody else's. In my mind the only genuine punk and hardcore (I know this is not about that, I'm trying to make a point here) was done by about 1984 - who cares. The music people discover during their defining age has a different resonance than anything they will hear 20 years later. Music and art is always good and bad - it is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. I'm reviewing this review. I thought this review was funny and defines this book as a certain type of book I've read many times and find somewhat monotonous now. Your response to my admittedly silly comment is what I hate about opinion on the internet. I just thought the review was funny and thought I would complement the reviewer, sorry if I've offended you.

Brandon Here is a gimmicky review. True, it is grossly unfair to its subject, but with 19 "likes" it's also the most popular thing I have written on the internet. The internet is an unfair place.

I was feeling "three stars" after reading this, but am now adding a fourth star because four years later, I'm still exploring the music discussed within this repetitive but useful book. Cheers to both the commenters.

message 6: by Rik (new) - added it

Rik McRik Ah, ok - populist=good. Say no more.