Peggy's Reviews > From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant

From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant by Alex Gilvarry

Feb 18, 2012

Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

Alex Gilvarry writes a very good tongue-in-cheek modern social commentary. The premise itself is a little nutty, as aspiring fashion designer Boyet (call him Boy) Hernandez bumbles his way into trouble with homeland security and earns a one-way ticket to Gitmo.

This debut novel is amusing and engaging. I like Gilvarry's writing style, although his pacing isn't the fastest, his characters are real, rounded and believable. It is their quirks and foibles that make up the story line as everything that could go wrong, does. The characters aren't always the most sympathetic, and at times you would just like to reach out and smack them so they would smarten up. But you can't help but root for Boy, and try to wave at him frantically as he naively entangles himself with unsavoury business partners and destructive girlfriends.

Thanks to Penguin for an Advance Readers Copy of the book. I am looking forward to seeing what Alex Gilvarry does next.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Memoirs of a Non-Enemy Combatant.