M—'s Reviews > Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Jul 22, 08

bookshelves: reviewed

I encountered the series of Dexter novels, of which Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first, shortly after watching the Showtime series of the same name. I had very much enjoyed the TV show, and I was terribly excited to track down the novel that it was based one. While I must say I preferred the TV show to the book, Darkly certainly didn’t let me down. It was a very good and quick summer read.

I spent much of my time when reading this book in comparing how the story details differ between the TV show and the book. (The first season of the TV show follows the plot line laid out in Darkly, but the two mediums differ on quite a few points. This book would be an appealing read if only to study the comparisons between the two.) I found the book to be a bit richer and more gritty in its presentation of the character Dexter, and I particularly liked how the author, Jeff Lindsay, wrote Darkly in Dexter’s first-person narrative.

I’m looking forward to reading the next books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkly Dreaming Dexter.