Kathy Moberg's Reviews > Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon

F 50x66
Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in March, 2012

I was lucky enough to get my copy of this book as a Good Reads giveaway. The current Countess of Carnarvon did a fine job, writing this chapter in this family history. I'm sure it has been sanitized, but nonetheless, Lady Almina lived a very intersting life and used much of her wealth for good works. The vintage photographs were great. I would have loved to see more! Some portions of the book were more interesting than others, but it was easy to skim through the dull bits. I'm glad I read the book and recommend it to Downton Abbey fans as well as those who read Maisie Dobbs, Bess Crawford and other novels set in the general WWI period. It's great background.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.

Claudettestager Just started the tv series so I may need to get this from the library

Kathy Moberg It's a good one to get from the library. The glossy book about the series is also good to get from the library, but it's best to wait until you've seen at least the first season. We're still partway into season two. We all like the show a lot which is one of the reasons it's taking us so long to get through it (having started the whole thing this year) -- we need to find times when all 3 of us are available and in the mood for TV. Three cheers for PBS and the BBC!