Chrystal's Reviews > The Goddess Test

4193095
Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge
Read from February 18 to 21, 2012

I had seen this cover around for ages and finally broke down and bought myself a copy while on vacation. I started reading this on the plane ride home and simply could not put it down. I know that there are many out there who either enjoyed it or did not. I didn't really know the story of Persephone before, so all of this information was new to me. I know of the Greek Gods and Goddesses, but have never immersed myself in mythology to the point of picking apart a novel - thank goodness.

That being said, I really enjoyed the story of Kate and Henry. It was a slow story at first only because the background had to be built up so that Kate's character could be established and the second half of the novel could work with the understanding of who Kate is. And Henry was quite distant and full of sadness for much of the book, but considering he is Hades, I suppose that is to be expected? I liked that any kind of romance between Kate and Henry was not rushed and that Kate let herself figure things out at her own pace.

"Everything changes with time, one must simply be patient."
-Henry/Hades (The Goddess Test)

The tests that Kate needed to pass in order to keep her mother alive are not what you would expect and there are a few twists here and there, though a few things I figured out well ahead of time. There were, however, a few surprises at the end of this book that go along with the explaining of the tests.

I think I am going to like reading spins on mythology and I am actually looking forward to reading Goddess Interrupted, which comes out at the end of this month! And for those of you that enjoyed The Goddess Test, there is an e-novella available called The Goddess Hunt that you can find pretty much anywhere you can buy an ebook (for ereaders of all kinds).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

02/18/2012 page 46
02/18/2012 page 109
37.0% "i am loving this book!"
02/21/2012 page 285
97.0% "This is such an amazing story!"
show 2 hidden updates…