Jenn's Reviews > Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: eced221, modern-fantasy-and-science-fiction
Read in February, 2012

This is the story of a nine year old, red-headed girl. She lives in a house called "Villa Villekulla." Pippi is all alone because her mom passed away and her father is lost at see. Pippi meets two kids that live next door and befriends them. Tommy and Annika learn that Pippi is not your average child because she lives with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.
This book is well written as it has a plot and a believable setting. The characters are developed in a way that makes the readers think that they are real. The theme of this story is a little blurred, but it pulls readers into the "real world" as well as the fantasy world because the story is about a little girl, but the little girl can do strange things, like lifting heavy things way above her head. This fantasy is convincing because it plays off of real-life situations but those situations are turned around whenever Pippi comes into the scene. The story is consistent with its characters and plot and it suspends a disbelief in the readers with some of the things that Pippi does. The author creates a sense of logic by using the characters of Tommy and Annika to try to help Pippi learn "life lessons" like she needs to go to school, and how to behave in company.
Overall, I felt that this story is a little stretched for the reader's mind, but it is a good read and entertaining for sure. The thing that really stood out in the story was the lesson that Pippi tried to teach herself that lying is bad; however, Pippi kept telling blatant lies to the other children trying to make her stories sound better. I feel that this could turn into a lesson for students about telling the truth and how stretching the truth is just as bad as lying. I feel that this story relates to my life in the past. As a child, I tended to stretch the truth a lot and when I read this as a child, this book showed me how much Pippi lied and that it didn't really make the other children have a different reaction to her. I thought that people would like me better if I did that so after reading this book when I was younger, I was able to tone down my stretching of the truth and I realized that people liked me better after I did that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pippi Longstocking.