Morelli Junior's Reviews > Ham on Rye

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ham on Rye.

Quotes Morelli Liked

Charles Bukowski
“What a weary time those years were -- to have the desire and the need to live but not the ability.”

Charles Bukowski
“I had noticed that both in the very poor and very rich extremes of society the mad were often allowed to mingle freely.”

Charles Bukowski
“It was a joy! Words weren't dull, words were things that could make your mind hum. If you read them and let yourself feel the magic, you could live without pain, with hope, no matter what happened to you.”

Charles Bukowski
“The problem was you had to keep choosing between one evil or another, and no matter what you chose, they sliced a little more off you, until there was nothing left. At the age of 25 most people were finished. A whole goddamned nation of assholes driving automobiles, eating, having babies, doing everything in the worst way possible, like voting for the presidential candidate who reminded them most of themselves.”

Charles Bukowski
“At the age of 25 most people were finished. A whole god-damned nation of assholes driving automobiles, eating, having babies, doing everything in the worst way possible, like voting for the presidential candidate who reminded them most of themselves.”

Charles Bukowski
“Everything else just kept picking and picking, hacking away. And nothing was interesting, nothing. The people were restrictive and careful, all alike. And I've got to live with these fuckers for the rest of my life, I thought.”

Charles Bukowski
“All a guy needed was a chance. Somebody was alway controlling who got a chance and who didn't.”

Charles Bukowski
“I often stood in front of the mirror alone, wondering how ugly a person could get.”