Virginia Campbell's Reviews > How to Eat a Cupcake

How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: womens-fiction, romance
Read in February, 2012

Meg Donohue's debut work, "How to Eat a Cupcake", is as well-prepared and appealing as the various exquisite cupcake creations described throughout the book! Food is such an integral part of our lives, not just for sustenance, but also for comfort and celebration. Food is also a universal communicator. Many times in our lives we express emotions that we cannot verbalize through cooking and sharing food. Annie Quintara is a baker of captivating cupcakes--blissful bites bursting with familiar flavors and unexpected, unique enhancements. Annie's mother, Lucia, was for many years the cook for the wealthy St. Clair family, whose daughter Julia was Annie's childhood friend. As the camaraderie of children gave way to class consciousness and competitiveness, the friendship lost its luster. Julia, the entitled, supremely blonde and beautiful rich girl is jealous of Annie in more ways than she can comprehend. Annie, always a bright and funny free spirit, is comfortable with her Ecuadorian heritage and exotic looks. A nasty rumor, started by Julia and later proven false, almost costs Annie her scholastic opportunities. A decade later, an unplanned reunion brings the former friends back together and sets in motion events which will forever change their lives. I was so drawn in to this story line, and I was quite involved with the characters, even though some of them were at times quite unlikeable. Even though I didn't always like the characters, I very much enjoyed reading their story. Annie is a sweetheart, and you root for her from beginning to end. Julia is much harder to accept, but after you get over the urge to slap her pretty face, then you also want her to find a happy ending. I have always known that the relationships formed in youth will affect us throughout all of our life. We may think that we can leave them behind, but they are woven into our souls with a fine and flexible thread. Meg Donohue is a worthy storyteller to follow, and I am eager to see what she will do with her second book.

Review Copy Gratis Amazon Vine
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Eat a Cupcake.