Dianne's Reviews > Diary of a Mad Fat Girl

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl by Stephanie McAfee

Feb 22, 12

Read from February 18 to 22, 2012

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl - By: Stephanie McAfee

This is a totally brain-less read and I am amazed that it hit the New York Times e-book bestseller list! Now we get to read it with all they typos and grammatical errors taken care of and in dead-tree form!

While I didn’t find any grammatical errors or typos (but I really wasn’t looking too hard!) I did find a story that is so highly unbelievable for mature (30 and soon to b e over 30), intelligent, college educated, world traveled women. I can appreciate a revenge plot along with the next person, but this went beyond something I could be comfortable with. Oh don’t get me wrong, I could NOT put this book down at all and finished it in about 8 hours, it was like a train wreck that you know you shouldn’t look at when passing, yet you just can’t help yourself and do look at it anyway...but I still wouldn’t recommend anyone actually buy it.
This book was not funny; I don’t even think I got one giggle out of it.
Chloe is being verbally abused by her husband of 5 years…and now he has moved on to being physically abusive.
Lilly the ex-runway/fashion model is keeping secrets - is she a pedophile or is she the kept woman of an older gentleman?
Ace (Gracelia) considers herself fat, doesn’t love herself or much of anyone anymore, is annoying, condescending, quick with her fists and gun, rude and crude and totally treated a man who wanted to marry her like crud.

Now 2 of these 3 friends have been drafted to blackmail Chloe’s husband who is a HUGE philanderer with a very unusual penis. Along with these pals is Mrs. Peacock. She is a highly unlikely ally in this blackmail. A person who is so unbelievable as written, that it stretched my ability to suspend disbelief to the point that it was like the elastic band in some of my grannie panties! It almost felt like Mrs. Peacock was thrown in because the author couldn’t figure out how to move the story/plot along realistically.

So many people have said that you really need to be southern to ‘get’ this book Maybe so, since the was at least one ‘southern’ phrase that I just couldn’t translate to something that made sense to this northerner.

Please do yourself a favor, if you really want to read this book, please save your money and borrow it from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Mad Fat Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ChristiLee "By the way, why is it that every author that decides they want to write about a “fat” woman, makes her 20 pounds over ideal? Give me a break please. Take a page from Susan Donovan and if you want to write about fat do it right!"

Totally agree with that assessment. Seeing as how the title indicates that the character is not only mad but she is indeed fat, all I really got out of it was a mad compulsive eater who might be a few pounds over weight. I honestly thought this book would deal more with her lifestyle as a "fat" girl, maybe the stigmas she had to fight in order to be thought of as equal in society, but I got none of that. In my opinion this story lacked the depth that the title would have merited.
(PS: if you are looking for a good "fat girl" book, try The Little Giant of Aberdeen County. Its really good and at the very least better than this one.)

Dianne Thanks I think I will try that book. I have never read anything about a real fat person before and believed it.

Victoria I'm 21, and I didn't find it believable. But I do agree with your assessment entirely. It's such a page-turner for such a flawed little book.