Wonderkell's Reviews > The Weight of Glass

The Weight of Glass by Stuart Heatherington

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: mystery, first-reads
Read from February 18 to March 09, 2012

The Weight of Glass is one of those books that just struck a chord with me as a reader. There are many reasons for this, and they all come down to how well it is written.

Right from the very beginning I was drawn straight into the lives of Lee Macon, his sister Amy & their respective families. What happened to Lee & Amy, and their other siblings, is so horrific that it is almost unbelievable. There is just so much that happens, particularly to Lee, that I spent most of the book with my heart breaking for this guy. But the reason I believed the horrors was the way in which Stuart Heatherington writes about child abuse. I am an abuse survivor myself (though nowhere near to the same extent), and I found myself psychologically identifying with so many of Lee & Amy's words that it would be impossible not to believe the truth of the book's characters.

The book is also written with such poetic but simple & poignant language that it is possible to become totally immersed in this story and the lives of the characters. I really, really wanted Lee and Amy to find peace with their lives.

I won't go into to much detail, as that would give away the story. The only problem I had with the book (an ebook version) is that there were a few errors in terms of words being misspelt, but they weren't the type of words to be picked up by a spell-check; words such as 'their' & 'there' being in the wrong context. It did distract a little from what would otherwise be a beautiful & professional book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Glass.

02/18/2012 page 27