Craig's Reviews > Daybreak

Daybreak by Brian Ralph

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from July 12 to 13, 2012

DAYBREAK has been kicking around for some time in one form or another, so I think most people who are thinking Brian Ralph is jumping on the zombie bandwagon need to check their facts. He actually was ahead of the curve on this one. But the thing about Brian Ralph's work is that you don't even really need to worry about who is doing what trend because he will always surprise and bring a new twist to whatever the de rigeur trend is.

Here, he utilizes an intriguing narrative conceit that reminded me of reading a "Choose Your Own Adventure" story. He pulls the reader in with that, and then hooks him/ her with the emotional heart of the story as he always does: you're living on borrowed time and trying to survive. The audience becomes invested in the tragedies of the characters so that the audience truly feels this existene slipping away. This emotional component is something that a lot of books these days do not have. Again, that might be something Ralph consistently does but it is no less important each time he does it.

Brian Ralph is an artist who should be more recognized and certainly more celebrated. I think his work is simply amazing.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daybreak.