Sian's Reviews > Save Me: A Novel

Feb 29, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2012
Read from February 26 to 29, 2012

Well I found this to be incredibly disappointing.

It started off quite promising; an explosion, who does Rose save? her daughters bully or her daughter? She reaches a compromise and manages to save both (or so she thinks). What she later realises is that that something else happened and one of their lives hangs in the balance.

When I started reading this, I was in the mood for the type of moral dilemma type of book this represented to me. Then about 200 pages in it turned into a "murder mystery" and then the lead managed to solve the "how did the explosion happen?" question within 2 days of being on the case it seemed.

It really fell completely flat for me. None of the characters were particularly likeable, not even the main character of Rose. She felt guilty about things...fair enough but she had absolutely no backbone in which to stick up for herself and her family. The other characters of the women in the this town was just ridiculous. I don't understand how they thought it would have been acceptable for her to leave her own child behind in that situation. And her husband Leo was practically non existent. He did nothing but moan about how she makes important decisions without him, but wasn't actually present most of the book, he didn't even pick the phone up when she called him and most of their communication was via text.

This started off as a good concept, and I didn't dislike the authors writing, but the story veered so far off course, it wasn't plausible and in the end found myself skimming the last 100 pages. With the recommendation "A charged moral dilemma...You won't be able to put this one down" by Jodi Picoult, this proved to be a really disappointing read and actually just a little silly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me.

02/28 page 150
02/28 page 150
38.0% "so far this is actually annoying me....ur not telling me these people wouldnt have gone after their own kids in the same way"
04/04 marked as: read-2012

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 24: by willaful (new)

willaful Are people really blaming this character for putting her own child first? For crying out loud!

message 23: by Sian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sian lol wasnt that she put her own child first, she took the other one to the door and said go out that door and into the playground then went back for her own child, only just managing to save her. Not realising the other lil girl had run back into the building, and basically she is being lynched for not taking her all the way outside etc and making sure she was safe.

message 22: by willaful (new)

willaful *eyeroll* Sounds like this goes on my "who are these people" shelf.

message 21: by Sian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sian i know, was stupid and the whole thing irritated me

Debbi you have stated perfectly my frustrations with this book. I was so excited to read the first few chapters and then it switched to bad murder mystery. overall, u found the book frustrating on it's implausibility.

message 19: by Sian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sian exactly Debbi, became so far fetched it wasnt enjoyable to read. Now maybe if I had known what it was going to turn into, it might have been different but because I was expecting the story to go that way, it ended up just being frustrating

Colleen Your review of this book is bang on! I felt exactly the same way.

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anne I am annoyed that she doesn't mention the awesome "anti-bullying" campaign this new school has. I find it hard to believe that this mom didn't enforce the rules at all, and didn't approach the principal about her daughter being bullied. Really? Her daughter hid in the bathroom every day, and the school personnel did nothing? The book starts out touting the anti-bullying curriculum of this school, but never follows through. Fail.

message 16: by Tanya (new) - rated it 1 star

Tanya I totally agree with you on this review.

message 15: by Sian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sian thanks Tanya :)

Suzie I agree. Found myself skipping pages at the end as well.

message 13: by Dale (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dale Harcombe have to agree here.

message 12: by Pamela Joy (new)

Pamela Joy I completely agree, especially with willful. Are we really supposed to believe an entire school turns on a brand new mom who saves her own daughter first from an explosion/fire?! Really? I had heard positives about this author, and this is the first book of hers I read. Good grief. Poorly written, poorly developed characters AND storyline, unbelievable and frustrating. The only good for me came from wanting to read what others thought and finding this app/site, which will hopefully save me from reading other 'waste of time' novels in the future.

message 11: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Van wunnik Completely agree with the complaints - my skepticism began on page 10 when Melly was described as having locked herself in the "handicapped bathroom." Has Lisa Scottoline actually set foot in an elementary school? I can't imagine one anywhere in the country that has door locks that would allow young children to lock themselves inside. Then, as the story progresses and Mom becomes a combination detective/secret agent/self-appointed law enforcer, I found myself thinking "good grief, this is SO ridiculous." There are times I'm willing to suspend belief in the service of a really good story; this was not one of those times.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan I just started this book and am so mad at the fact that Rose has no backbone and that other parents would be so mean and nasty towards her for saving her OWN daughter. I have been trying to decide whether to stay with this book or give up already and this review made up my mind. I don't do that often but will gladly find something better to read.

Sian Glad it helped Susan :-) it doesn't feel nice to give up on a book but sometimes you have to admit defeat :-)

Jaime I had the same reaction, characters completely unlike able. And why was her 3rd grader riding in the front seat of the car?

message 7: by Kriss (new)

Kriss Sthaa i just reached up to the middle of the book.. i dont know either to continue or not!! Reading this comments already makes me feel to give up!!

Susan Rae Lawnsdail I felt the book was okay and each chapter did keep me interested enough to continue reading,good thing they were short ones.

Diane Cloutier bennett Sian - your review took the words right out of my mouth. I agree 100% with everything you said. I thought this book was unrealistic from the get-go, and it became less and less realistic as it progressed. And for goodness sake, OF COURSE she's going to save her own child before saving somebody else's. . How would that even be debatable? I don't think it was very well written either. I, too, was disappointed.

Donna Terebetsky McFadden I agree 100% with everything above. As someone who works in the school system and as a ridiculous is the fact that the school reopens on a Monday after a major fire that killed 3 people and left one child in a coma??? Never in a million years would that happen....our school opening was just delayed a week for a flood that damaged the gym and a hallway!

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy My thoughts exactly. I gave it 3 stars because I was so hooked initially that I burned through the pages. However, when it turned into a murder mystery, I couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

message 2: by Love2cats (new)

Love2cats I've just finished listening to this and I missed the description of the accident when Rose ran over the little boy. What did she say to the little boy before he died? I know he thought she was his mother because of her Halloween costume. Could one of you please tell me?

Shantai When the little boy looked up to her as she cradled him in the street after she ran him over....He looked up and said "Mommy". She answered as if she was his Mom.....she told him she was there and she loved him....