Kameka's Reviews > Secret Daughter: A Mixed-Race Daughter and the Mother Who Gave Her Away

Secret Daughter by June Cross

Sep 22, 08

Recommended for: people seeking to understand what it can be like to be a bi-racial child
Read in September, 2008, read count: once

I had higher expectations for this book based on the liner notes I had read about it. It was an interesting read. Rather intriguing in the beginning as the pictures of the various individuals in Cross' life were painted. However, in the end I was not as captured as I was in the beginning. I felt like she was droning on and on about things she had already identified earlier in the book. I do think it was a very difficult life and story, but I think the story telling in the end was not nearly as vivid as in the beginning. I do think it is a good read for people who are interested in genuinely understanding some of the complexities faces by bi-racial children particularly in the earlier days post Civil Rights when it was a newer phenomenon. I wouldn't say this is a must-read book, but the story is certainly interesting and makes you wonder why people make the choices they do in life.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Daughter.