Echo's Reviews > Titanic Love Stories: The true stories of 13 honeymoon couples who sailed on the Titanic

Titanic Love Stories by Gill Paul

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: books-in-12, nonfiction
Read in February, 2012, read count: 1

A very interesting look at 13 of the couples who sailed on the Titanic and what happened to each of them. Each story has pictures of the couple and tells how they met, how they came to be on the Titanic, and what happened to them during and after the sinking of the ship. There is also other information mixed in with the stories of the people, including menus, information about the rooms in the ship, and information about other people on board the ship.
I thought it was interesting that, at one point, the authors said the dress codes were so strict on the Titanic that first-class passengers were worried about what would be the proper attire for boarding the lifeboats.
And in the stories of how the different couples ended up on the boat, the most interesting by far was that of a husband and wife who had promised his anxious mother (who had a premonition of a bad ocean voyage) they wouldn't set foot on any ships during their honeymoon. Instead of passing up an opportunity to sail on Titanic and see New York, they wrote out a series of postcards and left a servant in Europe to mail them and give the illusion they were still on the continent, intending to return before anyone was the wiser.
Not long after I finished this, I saw a preview for the rerelease of the movie Titanic in the theater, and the whole time I was watching the screen and thinking of the people I'd read about and what had happened to them. At the same time, while Rose and Jack were flashing across the screen amid scenes of the ship sinking and people dying, the people around me in the theater were laughing and quipping, "I'll never let go. And then she does!" It made me a little sad. I love the movie, but maybe the fact that the two main characters are fictional make it easy for us to distance ourselves from what happened and think, "There's no reason to be sad. They aren't real, and this never happened to them. It's just Hollywood." But John Jacob and Madeleine Astor and more than a thousand other people were real and did have those things happen to them, and this book tells just a few of their stories and really makes the tragedy of it all very poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titanic Love Stories.