Kiona's Reviews > Goddess Interrupted

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from February 17 to 18, 2012

Originally posted on www.yareads.com

Kate is immortal and ready to step up to her new role as Queen of the Underworld. But her coronation is interrupted by a powerful foe, one of the only beings strong enough to actually harm the immortals. While Henry and his siblings fight back and try to re-imprison their greatest enemy, Kate is busy fighting for her husband’s love. And when Persephone reenters Henry’s life, Kate feels like her marriage is doomed to fail. Not that that matters, of course, when the end of the world is imminent.

I could not stop reading Goddess Interrupted. As you guys know, I love retold myths. I’m not enough of an expert on myths to know when authors are butchering them. I know the basics and I’m really not bothered by authors adding their own elements or spins. So with that being said, I really like the direction Aimee Carter has taken with the Goddess Test series. I love the modernized views of the Greek gods and I like that, since Kate is also an outsider, we’re following along right in her shoes.

Kate is a gem of a protagonist. I can see how people might think she’s too mopey or whiny throughout the book, but while she’s definitely upset, I think her strength shines through every page. She’s moved into the Underworld, a place filled with gods who have existed for thousands of years, and she’s still not afraid to be herself. She speaks her mind, advocates for her own rights, and risks her life to save those she cares about. Is risking her life always the smartest option? Maybe not, but Ingrid can be pretty persuasive.

Henry’s behavior in Goddess Interrupted is ridiculously frustrating, but I can kind of see where he’s coming from. And really, his distance only made me flip pages faster as I yearned for him to open himself up to Kate. I’ve been noticing a lot of outrage in recent reviews over Kate’s blame of Persephone for Henry’s behavior. And while it’s true that it’s not Persephone’s fault that Henry is still pining for her, it’s just a realistic fact that as girls, we often blame the other girl, instead of the guy we’re hopelessly in love with. Is this fair? No. But is it realistic? Unfortunately, yes.

The action is fast-paced and exciting. The gods’ predicament seems to be lose-lose, and I’m curious to see how this plays out into the next book. Carter’s writing is a delight to read — succinct, clean, descriptive. Goddess Interrupted is definitely a page-turner, one full of suspense, heartbreak, confusion, frustration, and yes, romance. The ending will leave you completely shell-shocked. I’m not looking forward to the wait for the third in the series, but the first two are worth re-reading, so I suppose I’ll suck it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess Interrupted.

02/17/2012 page 159