Connie's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: spring-2012, fantasy, romance
Read from March 01 to 02, 2012

The Night Circus tells of the competition between two illusionists who have been trained to compete in a match where they don't know the rules or the outcome. When I turned through the first few pages of illustrations and saw that I was looking through the top of a black and white striped tent and seeing the night stars, I suspected this would be a special book. Le Cirque des Reves, the circus of dreams, is a magical place that arrives in a town without warning and operates during the night hours. The descriptions of the magical circus involve all the senses and transport the reader to an enchanted place.

The young illusionists, Marco and Celia, are used in a game of power between the two master magicians who trained them. But Marco and Celia complement each other so well that they fall in love as they grow older. They also discover that they are involved in a challenge to the death of the loser.

Except for a few instances when the author gets bogged down with description, the story line moved along. Erin Morgenstern was a fascinating storyteller, and I was sorry to leave this enchanted circus at the end of the book.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

01/31 marked as: read

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo Connie, I grew bored with Celia and Marco. But the Circus was wonderful and it kept me reading.

Zoeytron You wrote one fine review here, Connie. Well done!

Connie Zoeytron wrote: "You wrote one fine review here, Connie. Well done!"

Thanks, Zoeytron. It was a nice change of pace to read a "fairytale for adults".