J's Reviews > Moscow Rules

Moscow Rules by Daniel Silva

U_50x66
Aug 15, 12

Read in February, 2012

BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Disclaimer - my "reviews" are not truly that. Rather than a critical analysis, each "review" is mostly my quick summary of the plot -- so I can refresh my unreliable memory. Also, I find that once I journal a book, it's easier for me to give it away. That's important, as our house is getting "overgrown" with books.

---

The title becomes a useful catch phrase in other Silva books. It refers to a set of unwritten but valuable precepts that can keep a spy or dissenter alive (in Moscow, or in other dangerous climes). They include such advice as always assume your'e being watched and listened to.

The main tension in this installment about Gabriel Allon (super-duper Israeli spy and assassin who wears that crown reluctantly, as he'd rather be restoring old paintings) comes from the knowledge that a Russian oligarch, Ivan Kharkhov, who illegally sells weapons around the world -- sometimes to both parties in a conflict -- has a deal underway to supply highly advanced missiles to Al Qaeda.

Allon and crew need to stop the transaction, but time is limited.

They ferret out from a brave female Moscow reporter that the oligarch's disillusioned wife, Elena, could provide valuable intel. They next concoct a rendez-vous with her that she can play off to hubby (who's unfaithful) as her own adulterous fling.

Needless, after confronting all manner of hazard, Allon and the "blue and white" good guys manage to stop the deal, pluck Elena and children from Kharkhov's grip to relocate them to U.S. in hiding, AND rescue the Moscow reporter AND also bring to freedom a Soviet agent who had appeared to be working with Kharkhov but was actually looking to help the good guys and escape New Russia, himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moscow Rules.