Michael's Reviews > Drive

Drive by James Sallis

May 13, 12

bookshelves: noir, mystery, crime, 2000s
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

There was so much to like about this book but there were also some things that really bugged me as well. Driver is a mysterious protagonist but I felt he talked far too much for something that would have been more suited as the strong silent type. I’m not sure if he was supposed to be written that way but for me, the impression I received from the character and whenever he spoke, didn’t seem to fit my image of him. There has been a recent movie made about this book and I’m keen to see it but I have a feeling there will be a huge difference between the book and movie. I can see a linear story (which I’m ok with) but I can also see them doing the Hollywood thing and try to make a romantic connection between Driver and one of the women from this book. All in all, this book is well worth reading and I’m looking forward to reading the sequel Driven.

Full reveiw can be found on my blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tfitoby Michael, the movie was really very good but I'm yet to read the book so can neither confirm nor deny your suspicions.

Michael I'll have to check the movie out sometime soon

Stephen Movie is great - main character is very much the strong silent type in that

Mohammed The movie is very faithful adapatation but had to become linear story. It cant be non-linear story with alot inner monologue. You are right about the romantic connection too. Have you seen the movie yet?

Michael No I haven't yet

Mohammed Michael wrote: "No I haven't yet"

You guessed it well like i did before seeing the film how different it must become. Still it was very enjoyable when i saw it in the cinema. Ryan Goslin is perfect in the role.

I have ordered Driven and cant wait to see how good the book is compared Sallis other books i have read.

Michael I've got Driven waiting to go on my kindle. I hope to read it soon

Bobby Luke Yeah, the love thing happened in the movie - sort of. I think they handled it well. I Also like Driver's personality more in the movie - for the same reason that you mentioned. Also - the book jumped around quite a bit...which frustated me.