Librariasaurus's Reviews > This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl

This Is a Call by Paul Brannigan

Jun 02, 12

Read from February 17 to June 02, 2012

Starts out really slow and is totally cluttered by all the DC punk scene history, this is one of the better unauthorized music bios I have read.
Dave Grohl is a pleasure to read about simply because he rocks. He's not the typical rockstar but at the same time can still express modesty at being labelled the nicest guy in rock.
There were moments in this book where I found myself laughing out loud at Dave's fan boy antics when meeting members of the bands he loved growing up and also moments where I thought "wow, this guy is actually human, just a regular dude who happens to front one of musics biggest contemporary acts"
I recommend this to Foo fans, nirvana fans, punk fans and music fans in general. This is a bio you simply cannot go past.
I had anticipated a deluge of Nirvana, with this bring an unauthorized bio, but Brannigan has managed to pepper the right amount throughout. The closing lines of the book were fantastic, truly bringing the book home and showing the Dave really is still just a punk from Virginia.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is a Call.

02/21/2012 page 23
6.0% "Loving the family anecdotes so far. Dave really is just a normal guy from Virginia."
02/22/2012 page 53
13.0% "Chapter two has almost nothing to do with Dave! Mostly goes on about Ian Mckaye and Henry Rollins."
03/04/2012 page 66
16.0% "Loving the dc punk history."
03/08/2012 page 148
36.0% "I am enjoying this book simply because it's about music that I love, but it's hardly been a Dave Grohl biography as much as it has been a history of DC and American hardcore."
03/10/2012 page 169
41.0% "The cutting of Nevermind, the stories behind this album are amazing."
05/07/2012 page 176
42.0% "Got side tracked for a little while but I'm back into this book and liking it more because we are actually at the Nirvana stage of Grohl's life, instead of just getting a history of US punk rock."
05/15/2012 page 205
49.0% "Nirvana <3 Cobain <3 Grohl <3 Novoselic <3"
05/18/2012 page 230
55.29% "I never knew Kurt and the way Dave speaks about him makes you feel like you miss him. Like you've lost your own brother."
05/19/2012 page 255
61.0% "Finally! We are getting to Dave as Dave! Not Dave from Nirvana."
show 5 hidden updates…