Mel's Reviews > Shadowfever

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

Feb 26, 12

bookshelves: fiction, urban-fantasy, 5-stars-books, druids, fae, kindle-edition, series
Recommended for: Everyone who loves Urban Fantasy
Read from February 25 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

Wow, what a wild ride but fully worth it every; review to come.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

Quotes Mel Liked

“Time heals.

No, it doesn't. At best, time is the great leveler, sweeping us all into coffins. We find ways to distract ourselves from the pain. Time is neither scalpel nor bandage. It is indifferent. Scar tissue is not a good thing. It is merely the wound's other face.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I can't help but see myself in them. The Seelie are who I was before my sister died. Pink, pretty, frivolous Mac. The Unseelie are who I've become, carved by loss and despair. Black, grungy, driven Mac.”
tags: fae

Karen Marie Moning
“Some things are sacred. Until you act like they're not. Then you lose them”

Karen Marie Moning
“He pulls me around and kisses me. "You're Mac," he says. "And I'm Jericho. And nothing else matters. Never will. You exist in a place that is beyond all rules for me. Do you understand that?"
I do.
Jericho Barrons just told me he loves me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Hope strengthens. Fear kills[...] That simple adage is master of every situation, every choice. Each morning we wake up, we get to choose between hope and fear and apply one of those emotions to everything we do. Do we greet things that come our way with joy? Or suspicion?”

Karen Marie Moning
“Never underestimate a well-dressed bimbo.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“Love knows no right or wrong.
Love is. Only is.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Try a rocket launcher. Think maybe you could manage to hit me with that?”

Karen Marie Moning
“I didn’t ask. Some things are better left unsaid.
He looked at me and I shivered. I never get enough of him.
Never will.
He lives.
I breathe.
I want. Him. Always.
Fire to my ice. Ice to my fever.
Later we would go to bed, and when he rose over me, dark and vast and eternal, I’d know joy.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I'm not the hero, Mac. Never have been. Never will be. Let us be perfectly clear: I'm not the antihero, either, so quit waiting to discover my hidden potential. There's nothing to redeem me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Since the moment I laid eyes on Jericho Barrons, I wanted him. I wanted him to do things to me that pink and clueless MacKayla Lane was shocked and appalled and ... okay, yeah, well, utterly fascinated to find herself thinking about.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Accept me or kill me MacKayla. But choose. Fucking Choose.”

Karen Marie Moning
“One day you do meet a man who kisses you and you can’t breathe around it and you realize you don’t need air. Oxygen is trivial. Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset. To touch the one you love. To try again.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I know part of what turns me on so hard, makes me so violent with lust, is that he's dangerous. I fell for the bad guy. I'm crazy about the one who's trouble. The alpha that doesn't play well with others and doesn't take orders from anyone.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I'm not good, Mac. Never have been.'
What-true confession time? my eyes tease. Don't need it.
'I want what I want and I take it.'
Is he warning me? What could he possibly threaten me with now?
'There's nothing I can't live with. Only things I won't live without.”

Karen Marie Moning
“When you know who I am. Let me be your man.”

Karen Marie Moning
“We will K‘Vruck the world.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Ancient eyes had stared at me, filled with ancient grief. And something more. Something so alien and unexpected that I'd almost burst into tears. I'd seen many things in his eyes in the time that I'd known him: lust, amusement, sympathy, mockery, caution, fury. But I had never seen this.

Hope. Jericho Barrons had hope, and I was the reason for it.

I would never forget his smile. It had illuminated him from the inside out.”

Karen Marie Moning
“We have to save the world," I reminded him.
He reached for me. "The world can wait. I can't.”

Karen Marie Moning
“He will give them to my sidhe-seers," Rowena said sternly. "We will place the stones."
Barrons gave her an incredulous look with the subtle arch of a brow. "In whose f*cking reality do you think that's going to happen?"
"You have no business being involved."
"Old woman, I don't like you," Barrons said coldly. "Be careful around me. Be very, very careful."
Rowena closed her mouth, perched her glasses on her nose, and pursed her lips.
I looked at V'lane. "Did you bring the fourth stone?"
He looked at Barrons. "Did he bring his three?"
Barrons bared his teeth at V'lane.
V'lane hissed.
The Keltar growled.
And so it went.”

Karen Marie Moning
You may be trying to claim the woman, his eyes said, but make no mistake, she and the fucking fireplace are mine.
tags: jzb

Karen Marie Moning
“I don't have any idea what to wear anymore, so I tried to cover all bases."
"Try skin."
"Little chilly for that."
We looked at each other across the coffee table.
His eyes didn't say, I'd heat you up, and mine didn't say What are you waiting for? He didn't reply, Fuck if I'm making the first move, so I was careful not to say, I wish you would, because I can't, because I'm... and he didn't snap ...choking on your pride?!
"As if you aren't."
"Excuse me?"
"Really Barrons," I said drily. "I'm not the only one who didn't just not have that conversation, and you know it."
There was the faint, sexy lift of his lip. "You're a piece of work, Ms. Lane."
"Right back at you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Once, long ago in her world, a sunny day in spring was her favorite, but now a sunny day in winter delights her more. It is the perfect metaphor for their love.
Sunshine on ice.
She warms his frost. He cools her fever.”
tags: love

Karen Marie Moning
“They'll try to kill you."
"Good thing I'm hard to kill." Only one thing concerned me. "Will you?"
"Never. I'm the one who will always watch over you. Always be there to fuck you back to your senses when you need it, the one who will never let you die.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Don't leave me, Rainbow Girl."
Rainbow Girl. Was that who I was?
It seemed so long ago. I smiled faintly. "Remember the skirt I wore to Mallucé's the night you told me to dress Goth?"
"It's upstairs in your closet. Never throw it away. It looked like a wet dream on you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“V'lane: Are you busy tomorrow MacKayla ?
Barrons: She's working on old texts with me.
V'lane: Ah. Old texts. A banner day at the bookstore.
Barrons: We're translating Kama Sutra...with interactive aids.”

Karen Marie Moning
Keep hoping to see the light in her eyes. Even knowing it'll mean she's saying good-bye.

Karen Marie Moning
“That's it. Fate is a fickle whore. We're not going. Take your clothes off and get back in my bed.”

Karen Marie Moning
“The moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you were trouble."
"Ditto."
"I wanted to drag you between the shelves, fuck you senseless, and send you home."
"If you'd done that, I never would have left."
"You're still here anyway."
"You don't have to sound so sour about it."
"You're upsetting my entire existence."
"Fine, I'll leave."
"Try and I'll chain you up.”

Karen Marie Moning
“What part of 'directly' didn't you understand?"
"Same part of 'play well with others' you never understand, O cantankerous one," I muttered.
He laughed, surprising me [...] "I'd be a lot less cantankerous if you admitted you wanted to fuck me and we got down to it.”

Karen Marie Moning
“He's trying not to laugh. I tell him I would have doomed mankind for him, and he's trying not to laugh.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Some people bring out the worst in you, others bring out the best, and then there are those remarkably rare, addictive ones who just bring out the most. Of everything.
They make you feel so alive that you'd follow them straight into hell, just to keep getting your fix.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Desire makes life happen. Makes it matter. Makes everything worth it. Desire is life. Hunger to see the next sunrise or sunset, to touch the one you love, to try again. “Hell would be waking up and wanting nothing,” he agrees.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I hate fate. I don’t believe in her. Unfortunately, I think the bitch believes in me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“The four Keltar Druids brought their wives and children. They breed like it's their personal mission to populate their country in case somebody attacks again, as if anybody wants the bloody place.”

“He lives.
I breathe.
I want. Him. Always.
Fire to my ice. Ice to my fever.
-Mac”

Karen Marie Moning
“Dying is overrated. Human sentimentality has twisted it into the ultimate act of love. Biggest load of bullshit in the world. Dying for someone isn't the hard thing. The man that dies escapes. Plain and simple. Game over. End of pain...Try living for someone. Through it all-good, bad, thick, thin, joy, suffering. That's the hard thing.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Safety is a fence, and fences are for sheep.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“Hope strengthens. Fear kills.”

02/25/2012
5.0% "Finally in my hands!!"
02/25/2012
55.0% "AHHHHH!!! The many twists within the plot; and I'm only halve way through. I feel like screaming!!"