Cindy Crawford's Reviews > Batgirl, Vol. 1: Batgirl Rising

Batgirl, Vol. 1 by Bryan Q. Miller

Feb 19, 12

Read in February, 2012

I'm not a comic book reader. In fact, this is the first graphic novel I've ever read, and the first comic I've read since the late 1960s. But I read a review of it, and I'm a sucker for origin stories, so I thought I'd try it.

Since I'm no expert at comics, and not really a visual person, I'll stay away from reviewing the drawings. They seemed perfectly fine to me, and I admit that I liked the fact that all of the women characters wore clothes that covered their whole body.

The story being told,though--that I can comment on. This is a great story. Batgirl Rising shows us Stephanie Brown becoming Batgirl, taking over from Cassandra when Batman dies. (This is all covered in the first few pages--I assume fans of Batman/Batgirl will already know this.) It's also the story of the beginning of the partnership/friendship of Oracle (former Batgirl Barbara Gordon) and Batgirl.

Since I'm not a comic book fan, or even a Batman/Batgirl fan, what I liked best was that relationship, and the development of the characters. Sure, the action scenes are fun, just like they are in a movie, but the story of these two women who are both struggling to re-define themselves after catestrophic events in their lives is the main selling point for me. That story is so well written that it transcends any format or genre. Definitely recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batgirl, Vol. 1.