Vicky's Reviews > Maus: A Survivor's Tale : My Father Bleeds History

Maus by Art Spiegelman

2044729
Feb 17, 2012

bookshelves: graphic-novels, biography-and-memoir, history, favorites, series-read, setting-poland, author-american, color-brown
Read from February 23 to 24, 2012 , read count: 1

I wasn't sure what to expect from a graphic novel that tells the story of a Polish Jew (who happens to be a mouse) during the Holocaust (which happens to be run by Nazi cats).

It. Was. Amazing.

Spiegelman weaves together two stories - the present day story in which he is attempting to understand his Father and his father's Holocaust story. This first volume takes place over a period of several years - starting at the beginning of the Third Reich and ending after Vladek gets moved to Auschwitz.

Through both of these stories we not only get to experience the horrors Vladek faces during the Holocaust, but also the lasting effects it has had on his life and how he chooses to live it.

I know that to say a non-fiction book has amazing characterization sounds strange, but I appreciated that Spiegelman kept his father's character a very real representation. He showed the good and the bad painted a very believable picture of his father.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maus.

02/23/2012 page 120